Sunday, October 28, 2012

Natural Hair Tip: Maintain Moisture in hair


Curly hair is more prone to being dry. It is easier for straight hair to maintain moisture because the moisture only has to travel straight down the hair shaft. When dealing with curly, coily and kinky hair the hairs have certain patterns like S, O, or Z’s. Having these patterns makes it hard for the moisture to flow down each strand. So if you have these types of hair you may notice that your hair will get dry easily if you don’t put anything in it, some more than others.  It is also easier to see on hair in its natural curly, coily and kinky state.



Now I’ve read statuses on facebook, twitter and have even heard some guys out loud talk about how they didn’t like natural hair because the girls hair looked and felt dry. So I’m going to help some of you newly naturals and or old naturals that are struggling with this situation. This is something that I am really big on which is keeping moisture in my hair. Luckily I don’t have the driest of hair but it can still get dry.

Water is the BEST moisturizer for your hair. It is also so very important, so important that when buying new products you should make sure that the very first ingredient on the label should is WATER. Now on to fixing the problem of having dry hair. Every morning & night you should spritz your hair with water. You can add any oils you would like to your water as long as the majority is water. This should help you with your dry hair problem.



Another option is to spritz your hair with a little bit of water before bed (make sure your hair isn't soaking wet). Put a shower cap on and tie your hair up as you would normally and go to sleep. I would advise if you are to choose this step that your hair is in a style that won’t get ruined like a wash – n –go or  a bun etc.
 If those two don’t work for you another option would be to co-wash (Conditioner only wash) in between your regular washing schedule. For an example I wash my hair every Sunday, so if I wanted more moisture on my hair I would co-wash my hair around Thursday. I hope these tips help for you. If you have any questions make sure to comment below, until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment