Monday, October 8, 2012

My Story!!

Hello and welcome to my first blog Hairitude. (Hair + Attitude) I chose this name because my hair has attitude lol and I love hair in general with attitude. You know that hair or style that just has so much confidence that you just stop and stare? Or you say to yourself "I want that hair" or "I want my hair like that." Yes that's the hair I'm talking about. We have all seen it, have it or trying to get it that way. Anyways onto another subject let me tell you my HAIRstory and then what's going on with my hair currently.

So back in 2007 around the beginning of October while I was away at school. I called my Beautician from home  to set up an appointment to relax my hair the upcoming weekend. For some odd reason I just could not get up with her, and once I did she was completely booked. I was just going to find another time but then thought to myself "What am I doing?" "Why am I still trying to relax my hair i'm 19 now?" I had been wanting to go natural since I was around 16. I asked my mom if  I could and she told me I could when I turned 18 because I had too much hair and would tear up the kitchen when she tried to wash it, and since I didn't know how to do my hair she wasn't going to do it. I'm guessing she was hoping by the time I turned 18 I would.

Hair Relaxed:




Okay now back to the subject after that day I decided I wanted to go natural. I didn't know where to start or what to do. Back then there were barely any women talking about natural hair on YouTube like we have today. So I googled how to go from relaxed hair to natural hair without having to cut all my hair off. I never had short hair before and was scared of the thought of having to do that. Especially since so many people were telling me that was the 1 and only way to go natural. I found a website specifically on transitioning and followed it COMPLETELY. Sadly that website is no longer up.

Transitioned hair consisted of braids,twists &styles. The 2nd pic is bantu knots I took out:

 


To make a long story short I transitioned for 9 months practicing on my hair, and treating my hair as if it was already natural. During this time I got my hair cut 2 times, cutting off at least 3 inches of hair. I finally became natural on August 7th, 2008 cutting off between 4-5 inches give or take. I wish I had the courage to cut my hair myself because she cut too much of it off. I still loved it though I rocked my fro for a whole week before I even styled it. I was so happy with my decision on going natural and thankfully I didn't have a whole lot of back lashing or negativity trying to keep me from doing it. When I washed my hair for the first time being completely natural it was such a breeze for me since I was already treating and taking care of my hair as if I was already natural.  I recommend that if you do not know how to do hair or your in the process of learning, to transition first and become acquainted with your hair before taking such a big step. It will save you the frustration.

1st cut, 2nd cut, puffed right before my final cut and final cut:

 

     


Now that you know a little bit of my hair's past, lets move on to my hair now. Okay so now I have been natural for 4yrs now and am finishing off a 20 week protective challenge that I started for myself and a few other naturals on Curlynikki forums in May 2012. Tomorrow will make week 20. The challenge is to help keep my hair protected and to see how much hair I could grow in the challenge. I am also doing the Curly Girl method (CG) I will go more in depths in another post. If you have any questions or want me to speak on any particular thing just let me know. Also just to let it be known this is my first blog and post ever so don't judge me yet lol I know its long. Until next time......





No comments:

Post a Comment